Monday, February 9, 2009

Kate Chopin/African Folktales/Clemens

I will begin with the short story by Kate Chopin "Désirée's Baby," I really enjoyed this tragedy with the unexpected twist at the end. I like the way she alludes to the baby being black when the mother visits, but the girl doesn't see it. She is blissfully unaware, in love with her husband and child, not seeing what is before her. As I was reading I was thinking the obvious, that the girl must be of black heritage. I am disliking her husband for falling out of love with her for this, petty little racist that he is. Poor Désirée is so heartbroken when finally facing the truth, or what she believes is the truth, she takes her baby and disappears into the swamp. Probably killing herself and her child, the optimist in me would like to think she wandered to her mothers but that would in a way make the story a little less compelling. How rewarding to find out at the end that it was the husband who was really the son of a slave. Sad though that his mother and father were not around for his upbringing and he turned out to be such a lout. It seems to me that two such parents who were so forward thinking would not leave their son in the racist south to become a terrible plantation owner who treated his slaves horribly. However, it made for a really good story anyway.

Next I read the African Folktales and enjoyed the story telling of each of the short stories. You can see how the language progresses from early slavery as very crude and a bit hard to read to a dialect that is a little easier to understand. I'm wondering if this was because many of the early stories had to be done in the oral tradition due to the inability for the slaves to be educated? I also noticed that many of the stories are similar in that they are most often about trickery at the expense of the "Master" or they show the "Master" as the foolish character. You can also see the culture of superstition heavily in the work like in "Talking Bones" and "Old Boss Wants into Heaven" where there is the strong belief in ghosts depicted. The writing also portrays many of the negative and racist beliefs of the white people of that time as well. Reading these stories are like stepping back in time to the attitudes of the south and their way of life.

Another story that I felt appropriate for this section was "A True Story" by Samuel Clemens. I liked the part of the title that says "Repeated Word for Word as I Heard It" stating that this is a story that is told in the oral tradition. This is a story about "Aunt Rachel" who is a servant in her 60s who has a jovial sense of humor. Since her temperment is so jolly her owner (for lack of better term) makes the comment that she has never seen "any trouble" in her life because she has such a good humor. Then she tells the story of being raised a slave and having her husband and children sold away from her at auction. She relates how her youngest son finally found her in this story and then after telling her tale of woe, she says to her owner, "Oh no, Misto C, I hain't had no trouble. An' no joy!" I can just hear the sarcasm dripping of these final words of the story.

To sum up all of these stories is humbling for me...being white I am from the race that does not know racism the way that these people experienced it. I can only read these stories and appreciate what the African race has had to endure and how they survived it to see the day that one of them became the President of the United States. Now that is progress...slow moving...but progress never the less.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, thankfully we never have had to be enslaved in our lifetimes, but one thing that really erks me is that after everything their ancestors have gone through, how african americans can be so racist (our generation never put blacks in chains or whipped them!) Growing up in the 'ghetto' in Vegas, from kindergarten I was definitely the minority being white, and they made sure white folks were ostracized. It's just sad to me that while the rest of the nation is making leaps and bounds from racism, blacks really aren't doing the same. But I have to stress, not all of them are that way--which of course, is the reason racism doesn't work. You can't judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Chrystal. The blacks still hold slavery against us; they cannot move past it. This kind of thinking, of dwelling over the past that they themselves never actually experienced (their great grandparents and such, not the current generations alive today)keeps them stagnant and unable to progress. They need to get over it and move on. Another thing that irks me is that they claim to love Africa. How many of them have actually seen Africa? You cannot love a land you have never seen. Lastly, everyone is descended from slaves, not just the blacks. Our ancestors at one time were conquered peoples and slaves. Not as recent, but they were somewhere down the line. And I don't lose any sleep over it.

    I really liked what you had to say about "Desiree's Baby." That's much more than what I could have ever said! I understood the story, but it didn't leave much of an impact on me. After reading what you think about the story, I must admit I have a better appreciation of it. I really like the picture, too. :)

    Also, get some sleep tonight! I really enjoy reading your blogs, but get some sleep! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are both saying and agree 100% - the white race is really shifting to a minority status. However, I think the real problem is made up of groups of people among every race who would rather sit around and feel sorry for themselves and blame their problems on everything from racism to discrimination rather than figure out how to fix it. We are steadily becoming a welfare nation and it makes me sick. The balance of wealth in this country is so out of whack. However, people have one of two choices to make in this world and that is to either give up and put out your hand and ask for someone's pity or to get off their ass and get busy. We students are all working hard to give ourselves and families a better life and we all know it's not easy, but we know that we must because feeling sorry for ourselves is not going to cut it. We all have our stories of struggle but its what shapes us and gives us character and what we decide to do with our life's battles are what truly define us. We need to educate ourselves about what it is to discriminate and hate based on race and eradicate it...but we also need to be teaching a better work ethic and how to rise up in the face of adversity rather than point our fingers and blame our troubles on long ago wrongs perpetrated by people who have been dead for centuries. ....Ok sorry for the rant...can't help it...I guess I have some strong feelings about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you--racism, laziness, and misunderstandings run on both sides. There are blacks who dwell over slavery and there's also white trash who live off of welfare. I'm not trying to pick on any specific race here. I'm just saying if something bad happens to you or your ancestors, put on your big girl panties and deal with it! And eat chocolate. Chocolate always helps. :)

    By the way, out of curiosity, what's your major?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a kinesiology major with certification in health and working on minors in history and english. I am looking at secondary education so that I can teach either junior high or high school PE and Health, and maybe English or History. You have to be well rounded as a PE teacher because you don't always get a full time job just teaching one subject you have to be able to teach other things to stay fully employed. So, I'm hoping all this work will pay off and I'll be gainfully employed in another year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fully agree: eating chocolate can often solve a problem.

    ReplyDelete