Sunday, February 1, 2009

Walt Whitman




I first want to start this blog by saying that I just finished watching the biography on Walt Whitman and I have to say that I had no idea. I am a virgin of literature and will admit to all that I have not read much Whitman...but after this movie...I wanted to read it all. He's one of those writers that is best read out loud.

3. What does the phrase e pluribus unum mean? What does the phrase have to do with Whitman?

Latin for "Out of Many, One," is a motto requested by Pierre Eugene du Simitiere and found in 1776 on the Seal of the United States, and adopted by an Act of Congress in 1782. The phrase originally came from Moretum, a poem attributed to Virgil but with the actual author unknown. In the poem text, color est e pluribus unus describes the blending of colors into one.

I think this phrase embodies so many things about Walt Whitman and what he stood for on a personal level. He was a watcher of people, an observer of life, and as he told the stories of the people he saw he really told his own story. As Whitman watched he felt deep connections that touched his soul and at times filled him with love. He felt his writing had the ability to bring people together and to mend the hurt that man inflicted upon itself. He was very patriotic and had a love affair with his country and its people. The fact that this phrase is on the Seal of the US is perfect, Whitman would find it fitting I believe. He saw the world as made up of one people and he loved all their differences as one human commonality. "In the faces of men and women I see God."


9. Can you comment on "A Woman Waits for Me"?

This is probably my favorite poem by Whitman...I love it because it's bold, baudy, and honest. It stirs something within me that I haven't quite figured out yet. I'll have to get back to you on this one. Right now all I can say is that I will keep reading it, again, and again...out loud...to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment