Sunday, February 22, 2009

So I finished reading Samuel Clemens this week and I especially enjoyed' "The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg." I really like stories like this one that give a little moral at the end and yet don't turn out anything like what you would have expected. I won't spoil the story for anyone who chooses to read it but I will say that it goes to show what a guilty heart can do to a person. I have to say that I had never really read much of Clemens stuff other than the Huck Finn standards and I think that I became a new fan now that I've read his other work. I also really liked "The War Prayer" and the message it was conveying. Clemens is a great story teller, able to draw you into his stories and make you hang on every word, and they have such great endings. A little moral truth to give you food for thought. I'm going to have to add some of his other stuff to my reading "wish" list.



I also read "Daisy Miller" and "The Art of Fiction" and I am now a Henry James fan. I found Daisy to be a free spirit who spit in the eye of convention to the dismay of "society". I was a little let down at the end because it wasn't exactly a happy ending which I'm a sucker for...but it had it's own sense of morality. I think James was trying to show Mr. Winterbourne as a guy who realized too late that this socially unconventional girl just wanted his attentions and he should have stopped caring about what everyone else thought and just be with her. I could be wrong on my interpretation because it was, or seemed, like an abrupt end to the story. If anyone sees it differently I welcome your thoughts.


2 comments:

  1. I also loved the Daisy Miller story, except the ending was so sad! Daisy seemed to have strong feelings for Winterbourne, more so than she did for that Italian man (I can't spell his name, so I'm not going to attempt to). She was a young girl striving for the affections of a man in the only way she knew how. Perhaps she might have thought that Winterbourne would desire her more since he had "competition" (for lack of a better word). What I'm trying to say is, is that I agree with you here. Winterbourne was very quickly suckered into what everyone else thought about Daisy. It made me question his own true feelings for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about Winterbourne...he seemed a little shallow and undeserving of Daisy. I think that's why in the end she died (why James had her character die) because he was undeserving of someone like her because he couldn't let social convention go and just have fun and be with her. She was totally taken with Winterbourne but he couldn't stop being a stiff long enough to get to know her. At least that's what I think.

    ReplyDelete